The Australian Property Board has announced it is banning the sale of new house design and features from new houses to people who are under the age of 18.
The decision comes after a review by the board, which also includes the Victorian government.
The ABC understands the review will be made public on Wednesday, with the government providing no timeline for releasing the report.
The board’s decision follows a national survey conducted by the Australian Institute of Family Studies.
In February, the ABC reported the survey found almost half of Australian parents had already made up their minds about their children’s house designs, while almost a third had already decided whether or not they want their children to live in a house.
The Australian Property Council, the state’s biggest housebuilder, says it is committed to building homes that are appropriate for families.
“We’ve taken a deep, rigorous, evidence-based approach to building the best possible home for our children and families, and that’s reflected in our policy and our approach to the design and design features of new homes,” an ACC spokesperson said.
“While there may be elements of design that we disagree with, we respect their right to choose the design they want, based on their individual circumstances.
As we build new homes, we are committed to making sure they’re designed with the best interests of their family at heart, so we continue to encourage them to explore design options that suit their needs and preferences.”